Support for Students

Logan Park is proud of its welcoming and friendly school environment.

The International Department strives to make your time at Logan Park enjoyable and rewarding. Students are placed into a House Group for the duration of their time at Logan Park and this is a good way for international students to make friends with New Zealand students.  At Orientation we arrange for a New Zealand student from each house group to be an 'international student buddy' to help students settle-in to school in the first few weeks. The school Guidance Counsellor is also available to international students. 

An emergency phone for international students is manned 24 hours a day. If there is an emergency please call 027 732 9384.

Code of Practice

Logan Park High School has agreed to observe and be bound by the Code of Practice for the Pastoral Care of International Students published by the Minister of Education. Copies of the Code are available on request from this institution or here.

We also have summaries of the code available for students in Chinese, English, German, Japanese, Korean and Thai.

Summary code of Practice


When students from other countries come to study in New Zealand, it is important that those students are well informed, safe, and properly cared for. New Zealand educational providers have an important responsibility for international students' welfare. Our school is a signatory to the Ministry of Education's Code of Practice for the pastoral care of international students (the code).

What is the Code?

The Code is a document that provides a framework for service delivery by educational providers and their agents to international students. The Code sets out the minimum standards of advice and care that are expected of educational providers with respect to international students. The Code applies to pastoral care and provision of information only and not to academic standards.

Who does the Code apply to?

The Code applies to all education providers in New Zealand with international students enrolled. The Code is mandatory to these providers and must be signed by them.

What is an "international student"?

An "international student" is a foreign student studying in New Zealand.

How do I know if an education provider has signed the Code?

The New Zealand Ministry of Education maintains a register of all signatories to the Code. This is available online from the NZQA website.

If the education provider that you are seeking to enrol with is not a signatory to the Code, you will not be granted a permit from the New Zealand Immigration Service and you will not be able to study at that institution.

What do I do if something goes wrong?

If you have concerns about your treatment by your education provider or by an agent of the provider, the first thing you must do is contact the principal, the international student director, or another person who has been identified to you as someone that you can approach about complaints at your institution. The Code requires all institutions to have fair and equitable internal grievance procedures for students and you need to go through these internal processes before you can take the complaint any further.

If your concerns are not resolved by the internal grievance procedures, you can contact NZQA and/or the International Student Contract Dispute Resolution Scheme (DRS).

If you have a complaint about this school breaching the Education (Pastoral Care of International Students) Code of Practice 2016, follow the Logan Park High School complaint process first.

If this does not resolve your complaint, you can contact the New Zealand Qualifications Authority (NZQA) by phone on 088 697 296 or email

Or, if it is a financial or contractual dispute, you can contact FairWay Resolution by phone on 0800 77 44 22. More information is available on the FairWay Resolution website.

NZQA has produced a brochure for international students about the complaints process. It can be found here.